Before you leave our residential community, there are some steps you need to take to close out your room assignment. Those living in traditional halls will have a move-out inspection appointment with an RA from their community, at which point they should be completely moved out and will turn in their key.
INSPECTIONS vs. CHECK-OUT (YOU HAVE BOTH):
Residents will have an inspection appointment, when you will meet with your RA to do a review of your apartment’s condition. These will take place within 24 hours of your last final and you sign up with your RA at least 24 hours in advance.
Residents also have a check-out deadline. This is the latest possible time you can turn in your room key(s) without being charged a late check-out fee. All of your belongings must be out of your assignment at the time you return your key(s). We strongly encourage you to plan ahead for your deadline and begin packing and cleaning tasks now.
- All non-graduating residents are expected to be fully moved out of their spring residential assignment by the Friday of finals week.
- Those on East Campus should take care to move out by Thursday evening if possible. Commencement activities at Bobby Dodd Stadium begin Friday morning and will include road closures and pedestrian traffic that can make moving out more difficult.
- Those transitioning to summer housing assignments will transition the week following commencement and should look out for more specific details by email.
- If you need to move out later than the dates above, please fill out the extension request form in the check-out deadline portion of the My Housing portal.
If you plan to check out earlier, you can change your appointment in the My Housing portal. This will help our hard-working custodial teams to prepare for summer.
PREPARING YOUR ROOM FOR CHECK-OUT:
You should start by connecting with your RA to set up an inspection meeting during finals week and prepare by submitting work orders for any lingering repair needs so that maintenance repairs can happen before your inspection.
Ahead of your inspection and check-out time, there are several ways you can prepare your room. You should review this checklist that details your responsibilities to clean prior to your move-out inspection.
- Make sure that you remove all personal belongings from your community common spaces (lounges, study rooms, kitchens, laundry).
- In community kitchens, please throw out all food items you are not taking with you before you leave.
- Any excessive trash or items left in the community areas may result in a collective community fine.
At the time of your inspection, you’ll need to have all of your belongings out of your room. Bins will be available to residents to check out from either their Area Office during their operating hours or from one of the locations listed on the move-out website. Residents should return their bin to the same location as quickly as possible to allow others to use it – we cannot guarantee bins will be available if they are not returned promptly.
As part of proper check-out, all trash must be removed from your room and apartment. There will be additional roll-off dumpsters available during move-out at these locations. Dumpsters are made available all over campus. Please check with your RA for exact locations. Any items that remain in your room after you check out will be considered abandoned.
DONATION – LANDFILL AVERSION
Did you know you can save many items from the dumpsters, and give them a better purpose while you move out? Our Green Goodbyes program, a partnership with RA Eco-Reps and the Office of Campus Sustainability, gives you better options for disposing of items that serve the Georgia Tech community instead of adding to the landfill. Find more information in the coming weeks on the Hall Sustainability page.
Don’t forget your bike! Any bikes left in residence hall bike rooms & racks will be deemed abandoned after Sunday of commencement. When you leave for summer, we strongly encourage you to take your bike with you if possible. If you need long-term bike storage, the Dalney & Tech Square bike rooms offer spaces. Any bikes stored there must be registered with GTPD so that we can verify that a bike should not be considered abandoned. You can also donate your bike through Green Goodbyes. Learn more about abandoned bike removal here.
You should collect any mail you may have at the Post Office in the John Lewis Student Center before you leave for summer. Additionally, you should forward your mail to your summer/future address.
Looking to store your items for summer? There are several companies that will provide boxes or storage pods for students to fill with their belongings and then store with the company over the summer. Then in fall, they’ll deliver those items to your new address. You can find a list of these companies that we gathered for you as a courtesy here (note that Georgia Tech does not hold contracts with these services). We will work with those companies as needed for pick-up and delivery, but if you decide to rent a storage pod, we ask that you submit a ticket to the Housing Help Desk with your information and the storage company name so we can coordinate with them.
INSPECTIONS AND KEY RETURN:
During your appointment with the RA, your room will be inspected for cleanliness and any damages by an RA. You should connect with your RA about a time for this inspection at least 24 hours before you plan to leave. Your RA will look for missing items and damage, but also the general state of cleanliness. Any damages or cleaning fees will be noted in an inspection form with you present. At the conclusion of your inspection, you will hand your key to your RA.
PLAN AHEAD TO AVOID FEES:
When residents fail to prepare their rooms or check out properly and on time, it causes more work for our custodial, maintenance, and administrative teams that can impact the experience for the next resident in your room. Residents should be aware of the fees that can be incurred so they can avoid them:
- Failure to check out by the indicated deadline will result in a $100.00 minimum late checkout fee with an additional $50.00 per hour not to exceed $250.00.
- Failure to properly check out will result in a fee of $150.00.
- Following your check-out, your room will be inspected for cleanliness and any damages by a Housing & Residence Life staff member. Additional cleaning or damage fees may also be assessed if your room requires significant attention from our teams.
- If you are granted an extension to your move-out deadline, there will be a $50/night fee assessed for each night beyond your original deadline.