Leaving your campus housing for the winter break? You can set yourself up for a nice return to campus by preparing your room for an extended unoccupied period. Our recommendations include:
- Throw away perishable food from your refrigerator, and dispose of all trash in appropriate dumpsters.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Be sure your alarm clock is completely turned off.
- Turn your AC/heating unit to medium temperature and the fan to the lowest speed.
- Turn off your lights and shut off your computer.
- If you have a bike on campus, take it to your room during break.
- Ensure you take whatever identification, medication, and personal items (like contacts and retainers) you need for travel.
- Remove any belongings from the floor and place them on a tabletop or elevated surface - this prevents damage in the event of flooding issues over the break.
- Keep in mind that new residents will move in shortly before the first day of class - and plan ahead for your own return.
Please note that residents leaving for the break do NOT need to remove their belongings from their room or turn in their key. That is only necessary when permanently vacating your assignment.
Additionally, if there is any chance that you will co-op or do an internship in the spring that would require you to move out, you should take your belongings with you when you leave. That way you do not need to arrange to have your room packed up without you in the event that you co-op elsewhere in spring.