Freeze Watch: A 50% or greater chance of minimum temperatures at or below 32°F during the growing season - issued up to 48 hours in advance.
Frost Advisory: An 80% or greater chance of a significant frost with minimum temperatures of 33°F - 36°F - issued up to 24 hours in advance.
Freeze Warning: An 80% or greater chance of minimum temperatures at or below 32°F during the growing season - issued up to 24 hours in advance.
Staying warm during a freeze warning is crucial for your comfort and safety. Here are some tips to help you stay warm:
Dress in Layers:
- Wear multiple layers of clothing to trap warm air close to your body. Start with a thermal or moisture-wicking base layer, add an insulating layer, and top it off with a waterproof and windproof outer layer.- --- Don hats, scarves, and gloves to prevent heat loss from your head, neck, and hands. These areas are especially sensitive to cold temperatures.
Choose Insulating Materials:
- Opt for clothing made from insulating materials such as wool, down, or synthetic fibers. These materials provide effective insulation against the cold.
Keep Your Feet Warm:
- Wear thermal socks and insulated, waterproof boots to keep your feet warm and dry.
- Physical activity generates body heat. If possible, engage in light exercises to keep your body warm.
Use Blankets and Comforters:
- Wrap yourself in blankets or use thick comforters when sitting or sleeping. Layering bedding can provide additional warmth.
- Consider using an electric blanket to add extra warmth while sleeping.
Hot Beverages and Warm Meals
- Drink warm beverages such as tea, coffee, or hot cocoa. These can help raise your internal body temperature.
- Consume hot meals to increase your internal body temperature. Soups, stews, and other warm dishes are ideal during cold weather.
- Ensure that windows and doors are properly sealed to prevent drafts. Use draft stoppers or weather stripping if necessary.
- If the freeze warning is severe, it's best to stay indoors as much as possible. Avoid unnecessary outdoor activities.
- Keep updated on weather forecasts and any additional warnings. Being aware of changing weather conditions allows you to plan and prepare accordingly.